Some Stories Beg to be Shared

Some Stores Beg to be Shared... And I happen to have plenty...

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Forget Tagging - Paint with Light!

This is a bit off of what I usually post - but I was quite proud and had to post this. As I have mentioned before, I help work with an after school program. It's a part of JON. It's called Mauricio Saravia School of the Arts. I've been teaching a photography class to two students this time around. Last time I had 10. I much prefer only 2. They're great guys. One is about out of Middle School and the other will be a Senior this year in High School. They are both involved in the youth group as well.

One of the things that JB and I have come across with these kids is that they really like to tag. Graffiti. I know at least one of my students has been arrested for tagging in the past. The other thing I should note is that these boys are very talented. If I had half the artistic ability...

Anyway - I got this idea for my class. Painting with light. Basically you go into a dark space, leave your shutter open for awhile (we did 30 seconds) and you aim a penlight (or something...) at the lens and simply draw with light. It's not quite tagging, but it is very cool. You can also illuminate something for as long as you'd like and it'll show up. You can make it look like your head is floating in the darkness. It's a pretty cool concept.

I just wanted to show off some of the things these guys did. I think we spent an hour and a half all together on these. I know that given more time and something more than a cheap pen light they could have come up with even more things! I hope you enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try this with my kids. We have tons of little gadgets that light up!!! Cool idea! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete