Some Stories Beg to be Shared

Some Stores Beg to be Shared... And I happen to have plenty...

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Welcome to the 16th Street Mall

Like thousands of people every day, I commute to work via a bus. Every morning I hop on my Express Bus and take it to a station in downtown Denver. The I hope on a free Shuttle that goes down The 16th Street Mall. The 16th Street Mall is a community of it's own. With 17 Starbucks in a 2 mile strip, shopping areas, food galore, street musicians, and many more things - I'm sure you can see how this place is a petri dish for amusement. It seems like I send a daily text to my husband about the things I see. From someone that looks just like Steve The Pirate from Dodge Ball to a man excusing himself to tell me he thinks I'm pretty - I see it all. A man in a three piece Armani suit can be walking right next to someone who sleeps on the Mall every night.


Everyday Sightings on the Mall:
- People playing their daily game of Chess in the middle of the street.

- McDonald's that blasts classical music that can be heard for several blocks. (I'm told it's to keep homeless people from camping out there)
- Works of art in the middle of the street - including a few buffalos.

- Mobile food vendors selling anything from hot dogs, lattes, BBQ, and Ostrich meat.
- Street Musicians (I've seen jazz flute, banjo, trumpet, sax, accordion, and more)


- Pianos on several blocks ready for any passerby to play.
- Green Peace people with a new campaign every week.

Unusual Sightings on the Mall:
- A group of teenagers with 8'' Hair Spikes that had to spread out for fear of impaling each other.
- Bikini clad woman with a man in a towel standing out in the snow handing out pamphlets.
- Man on stilts with long gold pants and a rainbow jacket holding a sign telling me he can tell me what to wear.
I love Denver. I love the 16th Street Mall! Always something fun to see!





No comments:

Post a Comment