Some Stories Beg to be Shared

Some Stores Beg to be Shared... And I happen to have plenty...

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Too Predictable when Pretty Girls are Around

Sometimes people are just too predictable, you know? For instance, every time I go to Casa Bonita with my in-laws I can tell you exactly how the entire evening is going to go. It is systematic, but at the same time I feel comfort being able to participate in their rituals. I am officially a part of them. I belong.

Being able to predict what people will do has become a game for me. I've learned that the way to find the most fulfilment in my game is by telling someone my prediction - and let them watch things unfold along with me. I get to gloat and the other person gets to enjoy the amusement.

"I*Heart*TT" happens to be one of those people that is very predictable. Men that pride themselves on their "relationship skills" tend to fall into the "wannabe player" category - and end up being highly predictable. This guy is a serial "guy friend". His philosophy on dating includes being "friends" with as many girls and not getting serious until he finds "the one" that he wants to risk it all for. Each of these women have heard from him how amazing and wonderful he thinks they are - but then he is baffled as to why they see him as something more than just a friend.

Well, a couple of weeks ago she started riding the bus. The New Girl happened to be a friend of my Bus Buddy - and so I got to meet her. From the moment I saw her I knew that I*Heart*TT would have his radar fixed on her. Not only is the New Girl very pretty, athletic, and a good dresser - she's also very sweet, successful, and quite smart. My Bus Buddy and I decided after two days of her riding the bus that we should warn her. What she decided to do with the warning was up to her.


My Bus Buddy and I mentioned to her that I*Heart*TT would go through his usual motions. He would first make sure she knew he was around by joining our conversation - though not on the topic at hand. Then he would realize that wouldn't work and he'd sit back with his dating book and his Bible. These things would tell her that he's looking, and that he's a Christian. Then - if that didn't work, and my Bus Buddy and I didn't give her the chance to chat - he'd then ask about her....and then eventually create a situation where he has to meet her.

That afternoon he sat right behind the three of us. To give you an idea of how things generally on the bus - when my Bus Buddy is around he ignores me. At one point he even made his annoyance quite apparent that I had more than one person I talked to. That afternoon was different. He asked me for a pen, how our day was, etc. None of this was within the natural flow of what was going on. It was obvious. It had started.

The next day he "happened" to run into my Bus Buddy downtown - the proceeded to make small talk. From what I heard, it was awkward. I guess if you make it obvious that you don't like someone and then suddenly try to be their friend - the smart one will see right through it. And then that evening on the ride home he sat near my Bus Buddy and the New Girl (I wasn't there - I was told later) and tried to force himself into their conversation.

A few days went by - and he seemed to have given up. He sat back with his dating book and his Bible and acted as though the three of us didn't exist. A move had to be made for him completely go through my prediction. And then it came....

I got an email at work...

"I noticed how beautiful that girl who you guys were talking with on the bus this morning. I just noticed she has been riding on the bus lately to. I have not introduced myself yet because I don't want her to think I am hitting on her. I tend to not introduce myself to women who I am attracted to for some reason. I am sure she is not single anyways......... She seems nice."

He then told me that he's been interested in this other girl...blah...blah...blah. (So much for the other girl being the wonderful/amazing/special person he said...he was already looking again) I told him he didn't have a chance. Can't fool me. Playing coy not wanting to have her think he's hitting on her.... We all saw through it.... And we laughed! I hit a home run on that prediction!

Some guys just can't take no for an answer - or "you don't have a chance". That night the New Girl and I rode the bus together without my Bus Buddy. I*Heart*TT decided he'd move in for the kill. While I was talking to the New Girl while waiting for the bus he walked up, gave me a big hug - and started to talk to me as though she wasn't there. Well, not wanting to forget my manners I broke down and introduced them. She was kind - but didn't open herself up for questions, nor did she ask any questions. Once the bus came he realized that he needed to go to the back of the line because he had cut in front of several people. He lost.

His loss, my amusement, my victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment